Patented technology and plants for manufacturing the BRETONTERASTONE® SLABS
Monolayer thin slabs (and tiles) of engineered stone, manufactured using calcareous or siliceous aggregates, bonded with Portland cement.
The Bretonterastone® Slabs plants produce tiles and thin single layer slabs which are made by combining and compacting the materials using a “vibration vacuum process“. The stone mix consists of stone aggregates, fine mineral particles and inorganic based bonding agents.
Slab sizes measure up to a maximum 68x153 cm, with a finished thickness ranging from 15 to 35 mm.
Tile sizes available are 30x30 cm, 40x40 cm, 40 x 60 cm or 60 x 60 cm with a finished thickness, depending on size, from 9.5 up to 30 mm.
These slabs can be sold as they are or can be transformed into finished products.
The stone materials constitute up to 76% of the weight of the finished product and can be either siliceous (granite, quartz, quartzite, porphyry, sand etc.) or calcareous (marble, limestone, dolomite etc.) with sizes ranging up to 10-12 mm.
The bonding agent used is a Portland cement mix (“hydraulic” inorganic agent), generally Class I mixed with water to a water / cement ratio usually not higher than 0.30 and compounded with normal fluidifying agents used in the concrete industry.
With Bretonterastone® plants it is now possible to produce “P.M.C.” (“Polymer Modified Concrete”) products by simply adding to the concrete mix common polymers such as resins or polymeric latex (for example acrylic latex) enhancing the technical properties
and features of the finished product.
The production rate, depending on the plant model and layout, varies from 520 square metres up to 2,700 square meters per working day.
RESPECT FOR THE ENVIRONMENT
Bretonterastone® is made with such natural components as stone aggregates obtained through the crushing of waste material from marble, granite, quartz and quartzite quarries; siliceous sand, water, cement, dyes and the additives usually found in cement mixtures. Residue from Bretonterastone® processing does not pollute the environment.
A WINNING TECHNOLOGY
Bretonterastone®’s truly exceptional features are due to the system’s technology and production process.
the homogeneity of the mixture
- During the making of Bretonterastone® products, the composition of the mixture and the water-to-cement ratio remain unchanged. The mixtures themselves are always thick and homogeneous. In this manner, we avoid the porousness and lack of homogeneity typical of products made by removing excess water from the mixture.
The low water-to-cement ratio
- Bretonterastone® mixtures, the low water-to-cement ratios are usually no greater than 0.30.
- The hardened mix is thick, homogeneous, compact and strong, perfectly bonded to the aggregate particles.
The vacuum effect
- Bretonterastone® is made under vacuum. Vacuum eliminates air from the mixture, makes the mixture compact and contributes to its perfect adhesion to stone aggregates.
VIBRO-COMPACTION UNDER VACUUMVibro-compaction under
- Bretonterastone®’s vibration under vacuum makes it possible the excellent setting achieved between the particles of stone aggregate. In the uniformly compact mass, the concentration obtained is even greater than 72%.
The large amount of stone
- The large amount of stone gives Bretonterastone® a full, uninterrupted, natural and enviable appearance. This factor is likewise responsible for the great resistance to abrasion as well as for the other physical and mechanical features.
- Bretonterastone® is moulded into overlayable moulds that dovetail upon one another. This overlaying creates a sealed chamber between moulds, a moisture-saturated chamber in which – within a period of approximately24 hours
– the initial hardening of the mixture takes place.The hardening of the product in its mould avoids any handling in the fresh state as well as all the resulting cracks and breakage usually found with such handling.
THE PRODUCTION PROCESS
The mixtures are prepared by mixing together cement, water, stone aggregates, the fluidifying agent and the dyes. The aggregates may be marble, granite, or quartz grits or even grits of other stones, all in the granulometry most suitable for obtaining the desired product.
Filling the moulds
The mixture moves from the mixer to the dosing and distributing equipment which fills the moulds.
Finishing and packing
The seasoned product moves on to the processing line, where the tiles and/or slabs are calibrated, honed, surface-polished, finished on the edge and the chamfer and finally dried and waxed.
- All processing takes place in a continuous cycle.
-The processing line can be equipped to give the surface of the products an appearance different from the honing or polishing effect – i.e., a bush-hammered, sanded, scratched or other such look.
Unfinished product storehouse
The hardened tiles and/or slabs that are not immediately processed on the finishing line, are stored in the unfinished product storehouse.
Setting and hardening
The moulds containing compacted tiles and/or slabs are stacked in a dovetailing manner. Those stacks are then transferred to a room kept at a temperature of between 25° and 30° C, where both the setting and the initial hardening of the product take place.
Compaction by vibration under vacuum
The filled moulds move into the compaction by vibration under vacuum machines, where the tiles and/or slabs are formed.
- The Bretonterastone® System is a production process in which everything is finalized by the obtaining of products that feature excellent and consistent quality.
The Bretonterastone® process excludes any chance result. In their infinite range, Bretonterastone® products can be designed and made with the certainty that you will always obtain excellent quality.
A PRODUCT WITH A THOUSAND APPLICATIONS
With the Bretonterastone® plants, you can get:
- tiles measuring: 30x30x1.2 cm, 40x40x1.5 cm, 40x60x1.8 cm and 60x60x2 cm.
- PMC tiles measuring: 30x30x0.95 cm, 40x40x0.95 cm, 40x60x1.2 cm. and 60x60x1.5 cm.
- self-supporting tiles for raised floors, measuring 60x60x3 cm.
- inlaid tiles measuring: 30x30x1,2 cm, 40x40x1,5 cm, 40x60x1,8 cm e 60x60x2 cm
- especially thick tiles for outside use (even with refined double-layer on the top and simple on the bottom);
- slabs measuring 68x153 cm with thickness from 2 to 3.5 cm, to be used in making: stairways, windowsills, door jambs, panels for internal and external coatings, vanity tops and kitchen counters, and many other items for use in home construction and interior decorating.
- BRETONSTONE® SLABS
- BRETONSTONE® BLOCKS
- BRETONTERASTONE® SLABS
- BRETONTERASTONE® Avantgarde
- BRETONTERASTONE® BLOCKS
- BRETONSTONE CEMENT® SLABS
- WEB LINKS TO THE MAIN BRETON COMPOUND STONE MANUFACTURERS